Paschimottanasana: foundation foe yoga practice
Paschimottanasana is a seated forward bend yoga pose, where you touch your toes in a seated position. It is one of the best forms of yoga asana which gives a complete stretch to the entire back of the body, from the skull down to the heels.
It is very difficult to do. Moreover, it is a little bit strenuous for beginners but, can be perfected only after weeks of practice. Now let us discuss how to perform this yoga asana and what the benefits of it are:
Method of Paschimottanasana:
- Sit on a mat with your legs stretched straight and palms on the floor by the sides of the hips.
- Breathe out and start bend forward slowly and trying to touch your feet. Remember, don’t bend your knees.
- However, if you feel a restriction while bending, straighten up slightly and then try and bend further forward and keep the face on the knees
- Don’t push yourself too hard. May be you are not able to get very far in the beginning but late after some days you will do it very comfortably without any hassle.
- Moreover, don’t get impatient and push yourself too hard otherwise it will injure your muscles. Just bend forward as far as you can go.
- It is important that you hold this pose. There is no point in just bouncing back and forth.
- Take a few normal breaths and come up, release your hands and be in normal sitting posture.
Benefits of Paschimottanasana
- It improves your digestion process.
- It stretches the shoulder, hamstrings, back, and spine.
- It also helps you in spiritual attainment.
- It also decreases excess weight around the belly.
- It tones up the abdominal organs and keeps them free from sluggishness.
- Moreover, it also tones up the kidney, rejuvenates the spine.
- It helps to cure impotency and is also useful for sex control.
- It tones the nerves supplying the pelvic organs and arising from the lumbar sacral region of the spine.
- However, due to extra stretch given to the pelvic region more oxygenated blood is supplied and the gonads receive sufficient nutrition etc.