Almora – Popular Hill Station
Located in the Almora district in the northern state of Uttarakhand in India, Almora is a cantonment as well as a municipal board that happens to be one of the prominent hill stations of the country and a popular tourist attraction place. Founded in the year 1568, Almora stands at an elevation of 1,642 meters above the sea level. The official language of this region is Hindi.
Quite often, Almora is regarded as the cultural heart of the Kumaon region of the entire state of Uttarakhand. According to the 2011 census of India, the total population of Almora is about 1,50,550 people. Geographically, Almora is a neighbor to other popular hill stations, such as Nainital, which is situated at a distance of only 63 KM from Almora, and Ranikhet, which is situated at a distance of only 44 KM from Almora.
The capital city of New Delhi is only 365 KM away from Almora, and significant tourist sites like the Corbett National Park and Dehradun too are at close distances from this place.
It is often said that the beautiful mountains that envelop the Almora region are perfectly apt for meditating one’s mind and breeding positivity. The area consists of a list of popular schools, both regular and residential to provide perfect education to the children amidst nature’s breathtaking beauty and calmness.
The main tourist attraction sites in Almora are as follows:
- The Bright End Corner: A sunset/sunrise point amidst the picturesque beauty of the tall Himalayas.
- The Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary
- The Katarmal Sun Temple
- The Kansar Devi Temple
- The Gobind Vallabh Pant Museum: A museum consisting of folk paintings and other elements of the ancient culture of the state of Uttarakhand, alongside treasures from the medieval dynasties.
- The Kumaon Regimental Center Museum: A museum housing the war treasures and weapons from ancient days.
- The Kalimut: A popular picnic spot surrounded with fir and pine trees.
- The Martola: On the backdrop of the Himalayas, the Martola consists of a beautiful garden and is a popular tourist spot here.