Bharat Stories
Light of Knowledge

Girls Hostel Scheme: Objective, Benefits

0 1,971

Overview of the Girls Hostel Scheme:

There was an entirely new concept-based scheme that was launched in 2008-09, that was implemented from 2009-2010. The primary aim of the scheme was to set up a 100-bedded girls’ hostel in 2479 EBBs (Educationally Backward Blocks) in India.

There was an initial scheme that was driven as an NGO scheme to provide smooth construction and running of the Girls hostel for students belonging to the secondary and higher secondary school. Here the assistance and support were provided to organizations that are voluntarily helping in the running of the girl’s hostels.

The objective of the Girls Hostel Scheme

The primary objective of the scheme is to retain the girls belonging to the Educationally Backward Blocks in secondary schools. The efforts were there to try and allow as many girls to study in school and not opt-out due to various reasons such as:

A: Societal factors

B: Distance

C: Financial affordability

Another objective of the scheme was to make secondary as well as senior secondary education accessible to a large section of school-going, girls.

Target Group for Girls Hostel Scheme:

The target group under this scheme is girls belong to the age range of 14-18 years, those studying in class 11th and 12th. These girls should belong to SC/ST/OBC /Minority/BPL Families.

All the students that pass-out from KGBV will be given due preference in the hostel admissions. At least 50% of the girls admitted should be from SC/ST/OBC /Minority/BPL Families.

Sharing patterns

The central government will be bearing 90% of the project cost, including both recurring and non-recurring. The state government will pay the remaining 10% of the price.

Board of Project Approval

There is a project approval board that is headed by the secretary, school education, and Literacy MHRD that will examine the entire proposal that is received from various states, union territories, and governments. The committee will include the following:

A: Joint Secretary

B: FA & JS

C: Ministry of Human Resource

D: Planning Commission representative

E: Finance Ministry

F: Ministry of Women and Child Development

G: National commission for a woman besides representatives from union territories, states, and governments.

The strategy used to construct Hostels/Schools:

Under this scheme, one hostel will be constructed with the capacity of 100 girls in each hostel of the total 3500 educationally backward blocks.

Wherever there will be extra space in the compound of KGBC, the hostels will be constructed in those empty spaces. These hostels will be under the control of the administration of KGBV. All the students who pass out from KGBV will be given an upper hand un in seeking hostel admissions.

In case there is no spare space in the compound of KGBV or the blocks, then the hostel can get constructed in the compounds of the secondary school that is shortlisted by the union territories, states, and governments.

All the constructed hostels will be under the administrative controls of the principal, headmasters of the school. The students studying in the neighboring schools will be eligible to stay in these hostels.

The minimum amount of living space that will be made available to each inmate would be around 40 square feet, excluding the toilets, shared space, and kitchen. All the buildings that will be constructed that will be earthquake resilient will get fitments from the necessary fire safety equipment.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.