Bhujangasana: The Cobra pose
The literary meaning of the word ‘Bhujang’ is Cobra.
The final stage of Bhujangasana looks exactly like a Cobra who is ready to attack its prey and from there the significance of the word Bhujangasana comes from.
This asana gives an immense stretch on your front torso and spine.
The cobra pose is one of the best back-bending yoga postures which carries innumerable benefits to recover various health issues.
Bhujangasana is immensely beneficial to those who face back problems.
To perform this important yoga asana first you must follow proper directions as wrong twisting of muscles may lead you to have serious issues.
So follow the steps given below.
Steps to Bhujangasana:
- Lie down on the ground keeping your stomach facing the ground. If you have backaches keep a 1-2 feet gap between your legs.
- Rest your head on the ground keeping your palms beside your shoulder.
- Now inhale and raise your head up to your naval area, try to face the roof.
- Now try to hold this position inhaling and exhaling normally from 10 to 60 sec. Stay steady.
- Come back to your previous position with a deep exhale.
- Now repeat this process from 3 to 5 times.
Benefits of Bhujangasana:
- This very asana is immensely effective in reducing backaches. Bhujangasana increases your flexibility and effectively decreases the stiffness at your back and thus you feel a bit relief from your backaches.
- The Cobra pose improves the function of kidneys by removing the stagnated blood.
- As this Cobra pose gives a good twist at your adrenal gland which produces adrenal hormone you get relief from stress and pressure of your body. (adrenal hormone helps reducing stress and tension)
- Bhujangasana gives an apt massage to your lower abdominal organs such as pancreas, stomach, gallbladder, and liver. This very asana effectively reduces health issues such as constipation, indigestion and so on.
- This asana is capable of reducing many gynecological issues by toning the uterus and ovary. This asana effectively deals with leucorrhea, amenorrhea, and dysmenorrhea.
- The cobra pose activates the Thyroid glad and keeps your health in good condition.
- This asana increases the capacity of lungs. As while performing this asana, the chest expands and you get relief from your breathing issues.
Like other yoga postures, Cobra pose also has some limitations. Such as people who are suffering from peptic ulcer, hernia, hypothyroidism are advised to skip this asana.