Reasons Why Truck Accidents Are More Dangerous
Trucks are huge and heavy motor vehicles, weighing up to 80,000 pounds. Therefore, it is not surprising to know that they are one of the most dangerous things to run on the road. Heavy goods are transported using trucks every day. Due to their heavy weight and fast speed, collisions and wrecks involving commercials are often catastrophic or even fatal.
Truck accidents are different from car accidents. When a truck hits a pedestrian or a car, the impact can leave the victim with impactful injuries that can change the survivor’s quality of life. Knowing the reasons why these accidents happen can help avoid them. Speak to a Los Angeles truck accident attorney today for compensation for your injuries.
Table of Contents
Reasons why truck accidents are more dangerous
A truck’s size is much bigger when compared to passenger vehicles.
A truck or an 18-wheeler’s size is essential to understand why these accidents are so dangerous. Trucks are much bigger than passenger vehicles; their length is 70 to 80 feet long, whereas a car is only 10 to 14 feet long. There is a significant difference between the length of a car and a truck, and it can result in severe property damage and injuries.
A truck is much harder to operate than a passenger vehicle
Operating a truck and controlling its speed to tackle an obstacle is much more challenging in a commercial truck. While it is easier to maneuver around debris using your car, it is not possible to make last-minute maneuvers in a commercial truck. Even if a driver is highly experienced, they may still get into an accident if they are not paying attention.
A truck’s weight is much greater
The greater the vehicle is, the more difficult it is to handle. A truck’s weight severely impacts the crash. Since trucks are heavier, they take longer to slow down and come to a halt. Therefore, if there is an obstacle and the driver presses the brakes, the vehicle will take longer to stop and possibly cause a crash. A truck’s weight also increases the chances of a roll-over accident.
Commercial trucks are more blind spots that drivers may stay in for a longer period. This means that truck drivers must put extra effort into constantly checking the blind spots for cars, motorbikes, or pedestrians, and negligence in doing so can result in severe accidents. This is especially important while merging or changing lanes.
What to do after getting into a truck accident?
Getting into a truck accident can be overwhelming and dangerous. Drivers and victims of truck accidents are likely to get higher injuries than car accidents. This is why staying safe and aware of your surroundings is vital when driving.
Here are a few tips to help you prevent truck accidents:
- Educate yourself about traffic laws.
- Always make sure to check your vehicle properly at regular intervals. This is because if there is any issue in the maintenance, you can take precautions and actions.
- If you are on a long journey, make sure to take breaks at regular intervals.
- Avoid any distractions while driving. Unless it is an emergency or urgent, refrain from using your phone. For phones, you can use advanced technologies like Bluetooth, speakers, and more to receive calls.
- Limit your caffeine intake. While caffeine can help in staying awake, it can also trigger people with migraine.
- Do not over speed, especially on narrow roads. Make sure to check the speed limit.
- Avoid taking medications that can make you tired or fall asleep.
- Have a partner, so you can switch places when needed.
What to do if you get into a truck accident as a driver?
If you get into a truck accident as a driver, it is vital to take the right steps to protect your legal rights.
Here are the steps you should follow.
- Pull over your truck to a safe place.
- Check for any injuries. You will be taken to the nearest hospital if you have serious injuries. However, if you are not severely injured, you can check for injuries on other passengers.
- Report the accident to law enforcement right away. Do not wait until someone else calls the police. Wait until the cops arrive, and once they do, make sure to be honest with the police.
- Click pictures of the accident scene and your injuries. Additionally, you can click pictures of everything possible around you, such as accident areas, roads, weather conditions, and more.
- Check if there is any witness who saw the accident. Take their contact information of them so you can contact them later for their testimony.
- Call your insurance provider or the company you are working under. If you are a driver working with a company, inform them as soon as possible.
- If you are involved with the other driver or vehicle, take their details. The details should include their contact information, vehicle number, insurance details, and more.
- Seek medical attention, even if you feel okay. Proper medical attention will help you understand if there are any injuries.
Is hiring an attorney important?
Following the truck accident, it is vital to speak to an attorney. Legally, you are not obligated to have an attorney when seeking compensation. However, it is advisable not to go ahead with your truck accident claim without an attorney.
Truck accident cases are complex and can have a lot of complexities involved. The insurance company may trick you into believing that you will not receive compensation. This is why having an attorney by your side will make the process easier.
Additional ways an attorney can help you:
- An attorney will assess your case properly and see if you are eligible for getting compensation.
- An attorney will help you with the legal documents when seeking compensation.
- They can speak to witnesses and get their testimony to support your claim.
- They can help you in finding reliable evidence to prove you were not at fault.
- The attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.