How to Properly Do the Locust Pose or Salabhasana?
Salabhasana is also called the locust pose and it can help to increase the strength of the buttocks, legs and the vertebral column while stretching the muscles of the abdomen, thigh, and shoulders.
This is a simple exercise, which is why it is most often recommended to be done by the beginners in yoga. Ensure that before you start the exercise that you know the appropriate steps and how they should be done.
Table of Contents
Performing the Salabhasana
Salabhasana is a simple exercise, but there are some steps that one needs to follow, including the following:
- Lie on your stomach with your arms at your side with the palms face up and forehead on the ground.
- Inwardly rotate the thighs by turning the big toes towards each other and firm up your buttocks.
- Exhale while lifting your head, arms, legs, and upper torso up from the ground.
- Using your legs lengthen your muscles by reaching out while keeping them in the same position.
- Raise both arms up until they are parallel along with the ground and stretch through the entire arm and your hands.
- Push your body up towards the ceiling and gaze slightly upward or straight. Stay in the position for 30 seconds or 1 minute before releasing while exhaling.
You should ensure that you are doing the exercise a few times in the same routine to get the most benefits from it.
Benefits of the Salabhasana
Salabhasana has plenty of benefits that will make anyone want to do the exercise, such as:
- Strengthening of the back and the muscles
- Stretches the thighs, belly, chest, and shoulders while strengthening the legs, arms and buttocks
- Improves body posture and stimulates the abdominal muscles, which is the most common reason this exercise is put into use
- Relieves anxiety and stress through the calming of the mind
- Improves the body’s balance, rejuvenates it and helps to increase the endurance level and capacity
Make sure that you are aware and watching out for these benefits so that you can see just how this simple exercise can change your life.
You should always ensure that you are following the proper steps for the Salabhasana pose when you are doing it. Ensure that you know the proper steps along with the benefits that you would see from the normal use of this exercise.
Find a good location to do your exercises where you won’t be disturbed and where you can enjoy peace, quiet and relaxation without having to worry.